What do you need to consider when designing your logo?
Designing your logo is more than just picking graphics, colors and fonts. A logo is an integral part of a business’s branding. It takes a great deal of thought, creativity and planning to create a logo that is a good representation of your company and yet flexible enough to reflect future changes in your business.
- A logo should be unique, easy to understand, memorable, versatile and appropriate to your business.
- Be Inspired – Do a search on Google and Pinterest for logos of similar businesses for inspiration. Pay attention to your surroundings. What in your business makes you happy or inspires you to do what you do? Those are great places to start thinking about what your logo should look like.
- If you are struggling with coming up with ideas, you can look up keywords that relate to your brand on line to find inspiration.
- Don’t go with a trendy looking logo. You want one that is going to have longevity and not be outdated looking in the next couple of years. You also want a logo that is going to be versatile enough that if you add another division to your business down the road, you won’t have to come up with a brand new design. Versatility also means that it not only needs to look good on a billboard, but it needs to look good on shirts and hats and things that people might use on a daily basis. If the logo doesn’t look good, people are not going to wear your promo materials.
- Have Vector files made in Illustrator so that you can rescale the size of your design without sacrificing quality.
- Use a typeface or create a simple one that is easy to read and not too trendy.
- Your logo should tell your story.
- An effective logo works in color as well as in black and white.
- Never underestimate the power of an effective color scheme. Your company becomes recognized quickly and easily by the shape and color of your logo.
- Choose a design that stands out in the crowd. You don’t want a logo that looks like everyone elses.